The Early Learning Lab, a project of the New Venture Fund (NVF), was formed in the spring of 2015 to ensure children’s healthy development and kindergarten readiness and to source new approaches to making rapid and significant progress in the early childhood field and in the lives of our youngest children. We identify and spread smart innovations and technology solutions that equip parents, caregivers, and teachers with better ways to help children from birth to age 5, when it matters most.
We work at three levels:
- With school districts and preschools to bring innovation to early childhood teacher training and professional development
- In communities to improve the design of programs and services to support the families and caregivers of children 0-5
- Across the board to increase the use of technology and data to support the early childhood field
We are a small but dynamic team that combines early childhood expertise with design and innovation capacities and works with partners to advance key initiatives that can create high-leverage change in early childhood. We believe that smart use of technology and data has the potential to improve early childhood program operations outcomes for young children.
The Lab is seeking a talented individual to lead a body of work to help communities and early childhood organizations incorporate technology and design thinking strategies into their work to support the healthy development of children 0-5.
As the Early Learning Lab’s Technology & Design Strategist, you will lead partners and stakeholders in California communities, including representatives from school districts, Head Start programs, community-based organizations serving families of young children, and other local early childhood organizations, in a design-based process of understanding users, identifying needs, developing strategies, and implementing solutions to support their collective work.
We are looking for an experienced Human-Centered Design facilitator who can move work with teams to use tools and strategies such as the creation of journey maps, insight interviews and stakeholder analysis, and story boarding solutions. You will demystify and advocate for empathizing with users, ideating, and prototyping and testing solutions. You will understand how technology and data can be used strategically to strengthen programs in schools and community-based organizations. And you will author blog posts and reports about the innovative use of technology and design and how they can be used to transform the early childhood field.
This is a great opportunity for a technology-minded design professional to bring your talents to benefit the healthy development of our youngest children and their families.
The Technology & Design Strategist will:
- Lead partners and local stakeholders in co-design processes to understand their users’ needs and implement solutions to meet those needs
- Conduct landscape analyses of technology solutions that can address the needs of partners
- Provide technology thought leadership, analyzing technology trends from other sectors and articulating how emerging technologies can benefit the early childhood field
- Provide guidance on a range of other Lab-initiated technology and design projects
- Work closely with the Lab’s Executive Director and members of the executive team on Lab strategy and key initiatives.
Great Candidates for This Job:
- Have 5+ years of professional experience and a proven track record of success
- Have led teams through human-centered design processes
- Have experience with technology and how it can be harnessed for social good.
- Are highly collaborative and diplomatic and are experienced in leading multi-stakeholder teams
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and are passionate about building strong relationships and networks of partner organizations and institutions;
- Are action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and have an innovative approach to problem-solving
- Possess a bachelor’s degree and advanced degree in a relevant field of study;
- Have a demonstrated commitment to social issues and a passion for improving outcomes for children. Experience working in education is a plus.
How to Apply
Competitive salary based on experience and excellent benefits. If interested, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your letter, please answer the following question: What is your moonshot idea for improving educational outcomes for all kids across the U.S.? No phone calls please.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Early Learning Lab is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.